Adopted by the 74th WMA General Assembly, Kigali, Rwanda, October 2023
The WMA is deeply concerned at the increasing rate of violence against health professionals and facilities in Nepal. The Nepal Medical Association, a WMA member, documented at least seven incidents of misbehaviors and physical assault on medical personnel in the last 15 days, as well as vandalism in health institutions.
1. Recalling its policies on Workplace Violence in the Health Sector and on the Protection and Integrity of Medical Personnel in Armed Conflicts and Other Situations of Violence, the WMA and its members condemn in the strongest terms any form of violence against health personnel and facilities, and express its solidarity with its Nepalese colleagues.
2. The WMA and its members urge the Nepalese authorities to commit to preventing and ending violence against health personnel through the implementation of robust and coordinated policies, in particular:
- Immediate security measures to guarantee a safe environment for health personnel and facilities in the country;
- An appropriate funding dedicated to the protection of health personnel and facilities;
- Adequate accountability mechanism, with rapid responses from the authorities against perpetrators of attacks on health personnel.