Approved by the 55th WMA General Assembly, Tokyo, Japan, October 2004,
reaffirmed by the 197th WMA Council Session, Tokyo, Japan, April 2014 and
by the 217th WMA Council Session, Seoul (online), April 2021
and revised by the 74th WMA General Assembly, Kigali, Rwanda, October 2023
Whereas the WMA:
1. Recognizes the need and importance for sound global standards for quality improvement of medical education;
2. Acknowledges the WMA’s special relationship with the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) as one of the founders of the Federation;
3. Recognizes that it is represented in the WFME Executive Council and in this capacity is co-responsible for the WFME Project on International Standards in Medical Education, conducted since 19971;
4. Acknowledges the development of the WFME Trilogy of Documents of Global Standards in Medical Education for Quality Improvement, covering Basic Medical Education2, Postgraduate Medical Education3 and the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) of Medical Doctors4;
5. Recognizes the endorsement5 of the WFME Global Standards at the World Conference in Medical Education: Global Standards in Medical Education for Better Health Care, in Copenhagen, Denmark, March 20036;
6. Expresses its encouragement and support of the ongoing work of implementing the Trilogy of WFME Documents on Global Standards in Medical Education.
- The Executive Council, The World Federation for Medical Education: International standards in medical education: assessment and accreditation of medical schools´ educational programmes. A WFME position paper. Med Ed 1998; 32: 549-558.
- World Federation for Medical Education: Basic Medical Education. WFME Global Standards for Quality Improvement. WFME, Copenhagen 2003. http://www.wfme.org
- World Federation for Medical Education. WFME Standards for Postgraduate Medical Education 2023
- World Federation for Medical Education: Continuing Professional Development (CPD) of Medical Doctors. WFME Global Standards for Quality Improvement. WFME Copenhagen 2003. http://www.wfme.org
- J.P. de V. van Niekerk. WFME Global Standards receive ringing endorsement. Med Ed, 2003; 37: 586-587.
- WFME website: http://www.wfme.org